ERC721 and ERC1155 in FLOW

At risk of asking a stupid question, can FLOW NFTs be created according the ERC721 and/or ERC1155? In other words, can you create an NFT on the FLOW blockchain and transfer it to Ethereum at a later date in order to be able to list it on OpenSea or Raribles?

Also, is there any problem using Metamask to store NFT’s created on FLOW?

1 Like

There is no easy way to do that, but I guess we all want a smooth pattern to move NFTs between the worlds of FLOW and Etherium. From a data perspective, it boils down to aligning interfaces and providing the same metadata on a token level, so that the a FLOW NFT “looks like” a ERC 1155 or ERC 721 token.

Without being an expert, maybe a Cadence 721Interface could be added to the proposed current NFT contract?

Thanks for your feedback.

Another thought I had is that we could also implement an NFT bridge whereby the IPFS referenced NFT data file would be transferred over to a ERC721 or ERC1155 newly minted NFT and the Flow NFT would be burned or held in escrow.

Any thoughts?

So using an IPFS JSON file/entry as a bridge for handover of data? That could work.
I have been confused by IPFS, when using the Pinata pinning service.
Multiple uploads of the same file, should give me the same pin (CID, or hash, whatever you want to call it), since I am uploading the exact same file. To my surprise, this is not the case. I thought the whole promise of IPFS was content based addressing, based on a hash of the file contents.

If this would happen with the NFT, the uniqueness is not guaranteed anymore. Or I am thinking this backwards?

You’d probably have to include the unique ID or something in the content hash in order to differentiate it from others with the same art.

The current standard does actually support all the same kinds of operations as ERC-721, but because of the completely different programming paradigm, it is hard to completely reconcile them. Though if we had some way to transfer them to Ethereum, the owner would still have to deploy a contract to Ethereum to track the Flow NFTs, which would have to follow the Ethereum standards. So it is impossible to exactly replicate a Flow smart contract on Ethereum, but the Solidity equivalent would be somewhat satisfactory

1 Like